Last Week Of The Month - Start Enrollment

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

Hawaii State Flag

Hawaii Has H-COBRA For Patients Living With HIV

H-COBRA is a Hawaii program specifically for people with HIV. H-COBRA can pay premiums to continue health insurance for people who are COBRA eligible but cannot afford the cost of the premium.

In some situations, H-COBRA can pay premiums for individuals who are no longer eligible for group coverage (including COBRA), but who are eligible to convert from group coverage to an individual “HIPAA conversion plan” under the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Note that H-COBRA cannot provide premium payments for the many HIPAA conversion plans that lack prescription drug coverage.


Who is eligible for H-COBRA? To be eligible for H-COBRA, an individual must:

  • Live in Hawai‘i
  • Be HIV positive
  • Be eligible for insurance continuation under federal  COBRA guidelines (or for conversion to an individual plan under the HIPAA      guidelines)
  • Have income below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level for Hawaii ($37,380 per year for a single person in 2010).

How does someone apply for H-COBRA?

Contact the HIV Case Management agency on your island for assistance applying for H-COBRA.


Can I still continue my health coverage if I just lost my job?

Contact your health plan to see if COBRA coverage is a benefit provided in your current health plan. COBRA is a federal law that gives some employees and their dependents the option to continue health insurance. Your health plan must give you a notice stating your right to choose to continue coverage under the plan. You will have 60 days from the date of the notice to choose COBRA coverage or lose all rights to benefits. For more information on COBRA contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA, formerly known as the (PWBA) Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration) at 1-866-444-3272.

Affordable Temporary Health Insurance

If you are fairly healthy and still want to remain insured, alternatives to COBRA insurance may be available based on where you live. Short-term health insurance is a popular option and available in most States. This can protect you from high medical costs of new injuries or new illnesses that unexpectedly occur while allowing you to use any licensed doctor. Coverage is available up to $1 million per person. For more information and pricing, you can call us at 1-877-262-7241 or complete a free quote online.

Are You Eligible For COBRA?

Take Our Survey