We are a small business and were just dropped by Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. The reason is that we spend more than 50% of our time outside of the state. Can we qualify for COBRA coverage?
Unfortunately, you will not qualify for COBRA because the federal law specifies that the insurance provided be a continuation of an employer’s group health policy. You will need to find new individual health coverage through a private marketplace or healthcare.gov.
Eligible Events For COBRA
These are the events that would qualify an employee for COBRA coverage.
- Qualifying Events For Employees
- Voluntary or involuntary termination of employment (unless due to gross misconduct)
- Your working hours have been reduced
- Qualifying Events For Dependents
- Death of employee
- Divorce or legal separation
- Loss of dependent status (turning age 26)
- Employee is entitled to Medicare benefits
Save Money With Short-Term Medical Insurance
If you are fairly healthy and still want to remain insured, alternatives to COBRA insurance may be available based on where you live. Short-term health insurance is a popular option and available in most states. This can protect you from high medical costs of new injuries or new illnesses that unexpectedly occur while allowing you to use any licensed doctor. Coverage is available up to $1 million per person.
Call For Advice: 1-877-262-7241
Get A Quote On Short-Term Medical Insurance