I am a US citizen living in Italy, do I qualify for COBRA?

I am a US citizen and have been living and working in Rome, Italy for four-and-a-half years. I am a professor at The American University in Rome, Italy and I have multiple sclerosis. I am covered in Italy by a national health system; I have an Italian insurance supplement, but have never used it. I plan to return to the US permanently this summer and need insurance. I have already been turned down by a private insurer because of my MS and cardio logical problems. Can I qualify for COBRA?

Individuals or employees who are non-resident aliens and do not earn a United States income check are not entitled to elect COBRA.

COBRA is the same major medical work insurance offered by the employer as the time of termination. If your work is for an international company, these rules do not apply.

You Can Save Money With Short-Term Medical Insurance

We are COBRAinsurance.com — a private health insurance agency, established in 2001, that publishes online information on how the federal COBRA law works. We also provide an alternative to COBRA if it is unavailable or you simply can not afford it. You can remain insured and have health coverage for new illnesses or injuries with Short-Term Medical Insurance

Call For Advice: 1-877-262-7241

Get A Quote On Short-Term Medical Insurance

Related Knowledge Base Posts

Are You Eligible For COBRA?

Take Our Survey