Cobra coverage for ex-wife out of state

Q: I am going through a divorce in Texas and plan to move to Colorado following the divorce. I am presently covered under my husband’s medical plan in Texas. Will COBRA follow me out of state to Colorado? I have been told many different things: 1. COBRA will not cover me out of state 2. If my husband’s medical plan does not cover me out of state, they must provide alternative plans from which to choose. As I have a pre-existing medical condition, it is important that I have no lapse in medical coverage. Just would like some consistent information A: If there are more than 20 employees at the job you are leaving, then that employer has to offer you a continuation of the same group health plan for duration of up to 18 months. Employers must offer alternative coverage to qualified beneficiaries that will be moving outside their insurance coverage area. The employer must make the alternative coverage available before on by the date the beneficiary moves, or if it is later, than the first day of the month following the month you made the request to move and needed alternate coverage.


: If you are a healthy person who does not live in NY, NJ, MA, or VT and would be interested in a lower cost Alternative to COBRA please With this policy you have the ability to choose your deductible: $250, $500, $1000 or $2500.


Related Knowledge Base Posts

Are You Eligible For COBRA?

Take Our Survey