Spouse & Unborn Child overage

ody ody Q: My wife and I are planning to have a child this year. I have just changed my job but the new employer’s group plan doesn’t cover pregnancy for the first one year. I checked for COBRA, but premium seems little costly for both of us together. It is affordable for a single person though. So, I’m thinking of having my wife enroll in the COBRA plan (same coverage as the group plan from my previous employer) enrolling just myself in my current employer’s group plan. Is this possible/allowed? If it is, will the newborn child also be covered after delivery?

A: Having your wife elect COBRA, and you accept you new employer’s health insurance is probably the best choice, and is definitely allowed; that’s the point behind COBRA. Once the child is born, you can add him or her to your insurance plan through your new employer, and if it works with your new employer’s health insurance, add your wife to yours too. Otherwise, you can wait to add your wife until an open enrollment.

COBRA continuation is very expensive. Once your wife has her baby, there are alternatives to COBRA continuation available if she can’t get on your new plan right away. Click href=”https://cobrainsurance.com/ here for a quote, or call us at 1-877-279-7959 (8am-5pm CST) and we can help you find an alternative plan.

Related Knowledge Base Posts

Are You Eligible For COBRA?

Take Our Survey