Can I Get COBRA Coverage For One Child Only?

My ex-husband quit his job where he had medical coverage on our 10 year old daughter. Can I get just COBRA insurance on her until my work’s health insurance open enrollment?

Yes, you can get COBRA coverage for your child on your ex-spouse’s plan. In fact, his employer should send COBRA election paperwork within 45 days of the loss of insurance coverage. It will be the same coverage the child had previously, but you pay the whole premium, plus a 2% admin fee.

Cover Gaps With Short-Term Health Insurance

If you are fairly healthy and still want to remain insured, more affordable insurance alternatives to COBRA may be available based on where you live. Term health insurance is a popular option and available in most States. This can protect you from high medical costs of new injuries or new illnesses that unexpectedly occur while allowing you to use any licensed doctor.  Coverage is available up to $1 million per person. For more information and pricing, you can call us at 1-877-262-7241 or complete a free quote online.

Related Knowledge Base Posts

Are You Eligible For COBRA?

Take Our Survey