2018 Open Enrollment for Affordable Care Act (ACA) health insurance plans ended January 31st, 2018. This leaves many people wondering how they buy health insurance after Open Enrollment closes. One way to get individual and family health insurance after open enrollment is through a Special Enrollment Period. In order to be eligible for special enrollment period enrollment, you must have a qualifying event.
What events trigger a Special Enrollment Period:
- Getting married
- Having, adopting, or placement of a child
- Medical Child Support Orders (MCSO) issued by state or federal court
- Permanently moving to a new area that offers different health plan options
- Losing other health coverage (for example due to a job loss, divorce, loss of eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP, expiration of COBRA coverage, or a health plan being de-certified). *Voluntarily quitting other health coverage or being terminated for not paying your premiums are not considered loss of coverage. Losing coverage that is not minimum essential coverage is also not considered loss of coverage.)
- For people already enrolled in Marketplace (state or federal exchange) coverage, having a change in income or household status that affects eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
More information on Special Enrollment Periods and qualifying events can be found at SpecialEnrollmentPeriod.com.
Another popular and cost-effective way to get health insurance after open enrollment is through a *Short-Term Major Medical plan. These plans offer affordable coverage for new injury or sickness for a fraction of the cost. They offer month-to-month flexibility and can help you cover a gap until the next open enrollment period. Open enrollment for 2019 is proposed to begin on November 1st, 2018 and end on December 15th, 2018.
How long do you have to enroll after your triggering event?
You have 60 days from the date of your triggering event to enroll in a qualified health plan. It’s highly recommended that you start the enrollment process as soon possible; within 1-2 weeks of your event. This ensures the process goes smoothly and you’re able to secure your new coverage.
COBRAInsurance.com can assist you in securing health insurance regardless of your situation.
*Short-Term Major Medical plans do not meet Minimum Essential Coverage requirements and you may be subject to a tax penalty.