How Can I Extend COBRA Insurance Coverage?
I am currently covered by COBRA and I want to extend my coverage, how do I do that?
There are only a few ways that a person would be able to extend their COBRA coverage.
- If you are deemed legally disabled before or within the first 60 days of COBRA coverage, you are eligible for an additional 11 months. The total coverage time would be up to 29 months.
- If at any time during the continuation coverage you encountered another qualifying event. Generally, multiple qualifying events are subject to the spouse and/or dependents. Here is a list of events:
- Death of covered employee
- Employee’s entitlement to Medicare
- Divorce or legal separation from covered employee
- Loss of dependent child status