What Is The Age Limit For COBRA?
I am being laid off and am over 65. May I receive COBRA? And if no, may I receive COBRA for dental benefits since Medicare does not cover dental?
Age is not a limitation for COBRA eligibility. There are other limitations though. If you and your employer meet all of the following criteria, COBRA is an option:
- Your previous employer has 20 or more employees
- Your employment was not terminated as a result of gross misconduct on your part
- You had your health insurance through your employer’s group health plan
- Your previous employer still exists AND still has a group health plan for active employees (the employer did not get rid of health insurance for employees completely)
Combinations Of COBRA Plans
Keep in mind also that if you want to keep only your dental insurance, it will depend how your employer offers its group health plan. If your employer offers separate health insurance plans, you may choose to continue any combination of coverages (such as medical and dental, or dental and vision, or just dental) under COBRA. If your employer sponsors one plan with multiple health insurance benefits, you must elect all of the benefits or none.
There are alternatives to COBRA continuation available. Get an affordable insurance quote or call us at 877-262-7241 and we can help you find an ACA certified health plan.
COBRA Third-Party Administrators
Your COBRA plan may be managed by a third-party administrator. Many employers work with the following:
- ADP COBRA
- BASIC COBRA
- BAS' COBRA Control Services
- BenefitConnect EHR
- BenefitSolver COBRA
- Burnham & Flower
- BRI COBRA (Benefits Resource)
- bswift COBRA
- COBRAPoint Benaissance
- Employee Benefits Corp (EBC)
- Lifetime Benefit Solutions
- Navia Benefit Solutions
- Optum Financial
- Paycom COBRA
- Total Administrative Service Corporation (TASC)
- WageWorks / Conexis
- WEX (formerly Discovery Benefits)
If you are unsure who your plan administrator is, reach out to the human resources department of the company that provided the health insurance you had.
Accident Only plans start at $44/mo
Short-Term Medical low as $80/mo
Get A Quote, Enroll Online