Why Did My Former Employer Cancel My COBRA?
I requested COBRA from my former employer but he canceled my coverage. Do I have any rights in this or can he just cancel it? I live in Maryland. Thank you.
There are many reasons why your existing COBRA coverage can be canceled:
- If you contact your past employer to notify them to terminate the COBRA plan.
- If you fail to make an election during the election process
- If you start a group health insurance with a new employer
- Became eligible for Medicare
- If you complete the full 18, 29, or 36 months of coverage
- If you fail to make your premium payment on time.
COBRA is a federal law and the Department of Labor enforces that law. If you have specific legal questions you can visit www.dol.gov for more information.
We’re You Offered Enrollment?
If you do not have existing COBRA coverage, you should receive COBRA election paperwork in the mail after your group health plan has been terminated. Your former employer has up to 45 days to send the information about insurance continuation.
If You Lost COBRA, Consider An Alternative
If you are in good health, you could save hundreds of dollars off your COBRA premium with an individual short-term plan. These plans do not cover pre-existing conditions but can be a smart option when in-between jobs or a more affordable solution. There are several reasons why you should choose COBRA or Short-Term insurance for you to research.
COBRA Third-Party Administrators
Your COBRA plan may be managed by a third-party administrator. Many employers work with the following:
- ADP COBRA
- BASIC COBRA
- BAS' COBRA Control Services
- BenefitConnect EHR
- BenefitSolver COBRA
- Burnham & Flower
- BRI COBRA (Benefits Resource)
- bswift COBRA
- COBRAPoint Benaissance
- Employee Benefits Corp (EBC)
- Lifetime Benefit Solutions
- Navia Benefit Solutions
- Optum Financial
- Paycom COBRA
- Total Administrative Service Corporation (TASC)
- WageWorks / Conexis
- WEX (formerly Discovery Benefits)
If you are unsure who your plan administrator is, reach out to the human resources department of the company that provided the health insurance you had.
Accident Only plans start at $44*
with coverage starting tomorrow!
Get A Quote, Enroll Online
Temporary health insurance is a popular, affordable solution to cover gaps in coverage while you are between Major Medical plans.
*Eligibility for short term medical insurance is based on age and state availability.