Is COBRA The Same Major Medical Insurance Carrier I Had?
My COBRA notification says that I can continue using my Blue Cross insurance from work. I thought COBRA was it’s own plan. What’s the difference?
COBRA is a federal law. It is not a government subsidy or private insurance company. This law gives individuals the right to continue their Major Medical work insurance after job termination or changes in the immediate family. It is the same plan you were on with the same coverages.
Getting Started With COBRA
To begin the COBRA process, you’ll receive a election notice from the employer who sponsored the group health plan you were on. The notice will offer you to continue on that same plan.
After you sign up for COBRA coverage and make your first premium payment, the insurance will restart at the point where it left off.
The Top Employer Health Insurance Carriers
What Are The ACA’s Requirement For A Qualified Health Plan?
In order to be considered compliant with the Affordable Care Act, health plans must include ten specific types of benefits. These benefits include services in the following categories:
- ambulatory patient services
- emergency services
- maternity and newborn care
- mental health and substance use disorder services
- prescription drug coverage
- rehabilitative and habilitative services along with devices
- laboratory services
- preventative and wellness services and management of chronic disease
- pediatric services including oral and vision care
COBRA Third-Party Administrators
Your COBRA plan may be managed by a third-party administrator. Many employers work with the following:
- ADP COBRA
- BASIC COBRA
- BAS' COBRA Control Services
- BenefitConnect EHR
- BenefitSolver COBRA
- Burnham & Flower
- BRI COBRA (Benefits Resource)
- bswift COBRA
- COBRAPoint Benaissance
- Employee Benefits Corp (EBC)
- Lifetime Benefit Solutions
- Navia Benefit Solutions
- Optum Financial
- Paycom COBRA
- Total Administrative Service Corporation (TASC)
- WageWorks / Conexis
- WEX (formerly Discovery Benefits)
If you are unsure who your plan administrator is, reach out to the human resources department of the company that provided the health insurance you had.
Accident Only plans start at $44*
with coverage starting tomorrow!
Get A Quote, Enroll Online
Temporary health insurance is a popular, affordable solution to cover gaps in coverage while you are between Major Medical plans.
*Eligibility for short term medical insurance is based on age and state availability.