Is COBRA The Same Major Medical Insurance Carrier I Had?
My COBRA notification says that I can continue using my Blue Cross insurance from work. I thought COBRA was it’s own plan. What’s the difference?
COBRA is a federal law. It is not a government subsidy or private insurance company. This law gives individuals the right to continue their Major Medical work insurance after job termination or changes in the immediate family. It is the same plan you were on with the same coverages.
Getting Started With COBRA
What Are The ACA’s Requirement For A Qualified Health Plan?
In order to be considered compliant with the Affordable Care Act, health plans must include ten specific types of benefits. These benefits include services in the following categories:
- ambulatory patient services
- emergency services
- maternity and newborn care
- mental health and substance use disorder services
- prescription drug coverage
- rehabilitative and habilitative services along with devices
- laboratory services
- preventative and wellness services and management of chronic disease
- pediatric services including oral and vision care